There's a moment early on in Spirited Away that sticks with me after countless viewings and many years. Plucky ponytailed 10-year-old protagonist Chihiro breaks down by a river after losing her parents—and the human world she recognizes—in a bathhouse for the spirits. "It's just a dream, a stupid dream," Chihiro chides herself as she begins to cry. "Go away, disappear! Disappear!" When she looks down, she gasps in a moment of clarity her own ability to self-actualize: her fingertips begin dissolving into nothing. Watch CC Off English Jennifer Coolidge and Jon Gries on returning to The White Lotus 00:51 Now playing What’s On This Week Yesterday 5:14PM 01:43 Now playing Just how deep will Anne Hathaway and Jeremy Strong go to get into character? Saturday 2:28PM "It plays into very strong fears that we all have of abandonment, of getting lost, of not knowing what we're doing or what to do next," Dr. Susan Napier, author of Miyazakiworld: A Life In Art and a professor at Tufts University, says of the film's opening sequence. "I think it's absolutely a global story." Spirited Away , which marked the 20th anniversary of its U.S. wide release on September 20, remains a touchstone… Read full this story
- 'Demon Slayer' beats 'Spirited Away' to become Japan's highest-grossing movie ever
- 'It's time to say goodbye': Kobe Bryant will retire from basketball after 20-year career with the Los Angeles Lakers
- Meet Tairrie B: Hip-Hop's first white female rapper (who was signed to Eazy-E's label) returns with new album after 25 years
- Soldier, 23, and 16-year-old boy are charged with murdering Fort Drum Corporal, 20, whose body was found dumped 280 miles away from the base 'after he was kidnapped following an argument with the pair'
- Will 2021 finally be the year we finally get the male pill? Men's contraception is set to be transformed by a range of preventative products
- New Year Honours List 2021: Craig David to get MBE as Lewis Hamilton and NHS heroes also land gongs
- Studio Ghibli’s Earwig and the Witch has a release date – for cinemas and HBO Max
- How to lift your spirits through Lockdown 3: Our experts' guide to the most bingeable new boxsets, perfect podcasts, crafty cookery tips and wonderful winter wines could make the latest shutdown a bit less miserable
- 'We will meet again': The Queen gives a nod to Dame Vera Lynn as she wishes Britons a 'Happy and Healthy New Year' by tweeting 'while we may have more to endure, better days will return'
- BioShock revisited: unpicking the complex, messy legacy of 2K's knockout franchise
Spirited Away: Revisiting Miyazaki's opus 20 years after U.S. release have 433 words, post on www.avclub.com at September 24, 2022. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.