Ngụy Thị Khanh, former head of NGO GreenID and known for advocating the reduction of coal-fired power in Vietnam, was handed a prison sentence for economic crimes, not her environmental activism, spokesperson for the foreign ministry Lê Thị Thu Hằng said on Thursday. Ngụy Thị Khanh, director of Vietnam's Green Innovation and Development Centre (GreenID), has been arrested for tax fraud. — Photo courtesy of Hanoi Police During the regular press briefing held in Hanoi, Hằng said that on June 17, the People’s Court of Hanoi opened a first-instance trial and had subsequently sentenced the 46-year-old Ngụy Thị Khanh to 24 months in prison for tax evasion under Article 200 of the Penal Code. She was arrested earlier in February by the Hanoi’s police. The investigation and trial process were conducted in accordance with the provisions of law, Hằng said, adding that the trial was held in public and the defendant's rights were fully guaranteed as prescribed by law. "Vietnam resolutely combats and strictly punishes in accordance with the law, ensuring the rule of law in the country. All citizens are equal before the law," the spokesperson noted. Vietnam has implemented awareness campaigns and education measures to gradually raise citizens’… Read full this story
- India ratifies OECD's convention to check tax evasion
- Apple agrees to pay the UK £137 million in extra taxes
- China reportedly plans to block foreign cryptocurrency exchanges
- The Latest: Relatives seek word on missing worshippers’ fate
- The Latest: PM: Gunman had 5 guns that were legally acquired
- Nirmala Sitharaman’s Union Budget for 2019-20: Key Highlights
- Manafort Trial Day 2: A fake bill, a banned word, and a Rick Gates surprise
- Manafort lawyer: 'So many lies' from Rick Gates that he can't keep up
- Could they all just kiss and make up already?
- Gonzales pressures ISPs on data retention
Environmentalist prosecuted for tax evasion, not her activism: Foreign ministry have 302 words, post on dtinews.vn at June 24, 2022. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.