Deadline approached this week for the 97th Turkey Day/San Francisco Section championship football program and Don Collins was crossing every t and dotting all the i's. Literally. Just like he has done for 20 years. The first African American hired as a California Interscholastic Federation commissioner will retire Dec. 31, leaving a legacy of rabid attention to detail for the section. Right down to the approximate 10,000-word history of the football championships and a four-page look at 2021 Turkey Day Game honoree Gwen Chan, a former SFUSD Superintendent who as a 1963 Lowell graduate witnessed one of the great finishes in title-game history — a 35-yard interception return by Tim McAteer to give the Cardinals a 7-0 win over St. Ignatius in 1961. "I'm sure other commissioners oversee their programs, but I'm guessing few write and research every word of it," said SFS assistant commissioner John Zlatunich. "But that's Don. Type A. Detailed in every regard. Twenty-four/seven." Reporting and writing is a family trait — his grandfather Enoch Waters was considered a pioneering African American journalist, a writer and eventual executive editor for the Chicago Defender — and with a Yale Law School education, no task or assignment has ever… Read full this story
- College Football Playoff considering expansion to 12 teams
- SEC commissioner Greg Sankey offers insight into possible College Football Playoff expansion
- College Football Playoff expansion could threaten divisional format within conferences
- Cardinals go LB again, grab Tulsa’s Collins with No. 16 pick
- How England have performed in European Championship opening games ahead of Croatia clash
- Euro 2020: Finish date, fixtures and where are the games taking place?
- 2021 N.F.L. Schedule: A 17-Game Season and Quarterback Showdowns
- England's top ten football rivalries — but where do Scotland rank?
- Kieran Trippier only started four games at left-back before England win over Croatia
- Denmark say it was "wrong decision" to play Finland game after Christian Eriksen collapse
S.F. Section commissioner Don Collins to oversee one last football championship game have 314 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at November 24, 2021. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.