LONDON (Reuters) -British health minister Matt Hancock quit on Saturday after he was caught breaking COVID-19 rules by kissing and embracing an aide in his office, enraging colleagues and the public who have been living under lockdown. In the latest scandal to rock a government that has overseen one of the highest official death tolls from the pandemic, Hancock wrote to Prime Minister Boris Johnson to resign, saying he had let people down. An increasing number of his fellow Conservative lawmakers had privately called for him to go after the Sun newspaper published photos on Friday of the married minister embracing a woman whom he had appointed to a taxpayer-funded role to scrutinise his department. “Those of us who make these rules have got to stick by them and that’s why I’ve got to resign,” the 42-year-old said in a video on Twitter. Hancock had been at the centre of the government’s fight against the pandemic, routinely appearing on television to tell people to follow strict rules and to defend his department against criticism of its response to the crisis. He will be replaced by Sajid Javid, a former finance minister with widespread government experience but new to health. Javid… Read full this story
- Britain is quitting smoking. Can our success inspire the rest of the world?
- Maltese MPs back country's prime minister Joseph Muscat to keep his job despite protests over his response to the murder of anti-corruption journalist Daphne Caruana
- UK PM Theresa May announces she will resign on June 7 over Brexit backlash
- Boris Johnson Will be ‘Sacked’ by the Queen If He Breaks The Law, Ex-Tory Attorney General Warns
- UK election: halt US trade talks until NHS off table, Corbyn tells Johnson
- Theresa May becomes UK's latest Brexit political casualty
- Who is in Theresa May's new Cabinet? Full line-up after Tory Prime Minister's bombshell reshuffle
- Never mind kissing babies on the campaign trail...I’ve just had one! That’s the extraordinary situation of the inspiring new minister for Children
- Corbyn reignites Labour debate over EU rules on state aid and socialist manifesto
- A kiss for Carrie Symonds! Boris Johnson embraces his partner after his first Tory conference leader's speech - but they break with tradition as she stays OFF the stage
UK health minister quits after breaking COVID rules by kissing aide have 370 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at June 26, 2021. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.