ASCHAFFENBURG, Germany: Iranian female Olympic medal winner Kimia Alizadeh has been granted refugee status in Germany and aims to compete in the Olympic Refugee Team under a white flag in Tokyo this summer. Alizadeh, who won taekwondo bronze at the Rio 2016 Olympics, fled to Germany last year after several offers to compete for the Netherlands, Canada, Belgium and Bulgaria. She said she had left her homeland because she was fed up with being used as a propaganda tool. “Taekwondo changed my life,” Alizadeh told Reuters. “When I got a medal, I was the first athlete in Iran and, after that, all the people knew me and … that was hard.” The 22-year-old, who now lives in the Bavarian town of Aschaffenburg, is training with her husband and can compete for a ticket to the Olympics at the European qualifying tournament in Sofia in May. The young athlete plans to join the Olympic Refugee Team, which will be picked in June from a group of 55 athletes in 12 sports. Germany’s Taekwondo Union said its president had contacted the interior minister over Alizadeh’s refugee status last summer, adding that Alizadeh was Germany’s third refugee athlete. “Now, everything is okay. The… Read full this story
- Two Boise State gymnasts using collegiate season as springboard to 2020 Olympic bids
- Iran Says It Will Help Revolutionary Guards Fight 'Terrorist' U.S. Military; Allies Offer Their Support
- Iran Begins Massive War Games to Show Off Its First Ever Submarine Missiles
- Special Olympics, YMCA partner to offer new sports
- Olympic cyclist Kelly Catlin of Minnesota seemed destined for glory. Why did she die by suicide?
- Surfing: Season opens for Olympics qualifying, equal pay
- Path to Olympic gold runs through Vista for skateboarding’s best
- Paralympic swimmer Lizzi Smith sets sights on 2020 Tokyo Games
- Olympics: Time for radical change in how host cities are chosen
- U.S. Joins Israel's Plan for Syria as Assad Gets More Support From Russia, Iran and Others
Iran's only female Olympic medallist to compete under white flag in Tokyo have 316 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at March 3, 2021. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.