The spectacular violence in the Capitol on January 6th was the outcome of Donald Trump 's yearslong dalliance with the white-supremacist right. Trump all but promised an attack of some kind as he called for his followers to descend on Washington, D.C., for a "wild" protest to stop the certification of Joe Biden's Electoral College victory. In a speech inciting his supporters to lay siege to the Capitol, he told them, "We will never give up. We will never concede." He encouraged them to "fight like hell," saying that otherwise they would lose their country, and dispatched them to the Capitol. He promised that he would be with them. But, like a lazy coward, Trump went home to watch the show on TV. The white right-wing assault on the Capitol, with a Confederate flag in the building and gallows on the lawn, was alarming yet wholly predictable as Trump's frantic efforts to hold on to power faltered. Not only did Trump clearly incite violence with his speech, but his Administration also paved the way for the violence through its deliberate neglect of the rising threat of white extremism. The Center for Strategic and International Studies found that attacks by far-right… Read full this story
- Omarosa Really Does Have Secret Recordings From the Trump White House
- Trump White House Drama Changes Drastically — But Is Still Just Like
- Rudy Giuliani is at Least 40th Person in Trump White House, Inner Circle to Contract COVID
- Lou Holtz at Medal of Freedom Ceremony: Donald Trump the ‘Greatest President’ in My Lifetime
- US election results: Biden has beaten Trump to become president - but what happens next?
- White House Looks at Legal Options for Silencing Omarosa, Probably Won’t Find Any
- Trump Revoking Security Clearances Shows He Feels Powerless Against Mueller
- A Guide to Omarosa’s Trump N-word Tape Allegations
- White Evangelicals Made a Deal With the Devil. Now What?
- White House Official Called Trump a ‘Deplorable’
The Bitter Fruits of Trump’s White-Power Presidency have 327 words, post on www.newyorker.com at January 12, 2021. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.