Matt Hancock today hinted that London is on the verge of being plunged into Tier Three, as official figures show daily coronavirus infections in the capital are now higher than before England’s blanket lockdown. Asked whether the capital is in danger of being upgraded next week, the Health Secretary pointed to rising cases as he pleaded with people to keep obeying the rules. Meanwhile, Boris Johnson also highlighted the increase in London in an interview hailing the first vaccines being administered. City Hall is understood to be braced for bad news when the first review of the tiers in England is carried out on December 16, despite Sadiq Khan insisting he does not want it to happen. Tier Three rules would inflict yet more devastation on the hospitality industry, with bars and restaurants only allowed to operate takeaway. Last week Mr Johnson insisted some areas could be shifted down the scale as he tried to soothe rebellious Tories in a vote on the system – but there has been concern about an uptick in cases since then. Michael Gove was the most senior minister to call for London to be subject to the most severe Tier 3 restrictions last month before the… Read full this story
- Coronavirus: Beaches could be closed if social distancing is not observed, Matt Hancock warns
- NHS chief warns of Super Saturday 'pub-ageddon' as Matt Hancock declares drunken thugs will be thrown into jail if they break the law as bars and restaurants reopen from 6am
- Ghost town: Leicester streets are deserted on first day in local lockdown as Matt Hancock says police WILL enforce curbs but residents WON'T be banned from leaving despite fears many will just meet up elsewhere
- Officials WILL look again at whether Britons should wear face coverings or masks in public, Matt Hancock reveals as top scientists argue they should be 'part of the new normal'
- Civil liberty campaigners hit out at 'draconian intrusion of privacy' after Matt Hancock's threat to issue fines for people not obeying 14-day test and trace isolation orders
- Matt Hancock insists coronavirus in care homes is 'coming under control' as he unveils a new task force to cut infections and expands testing to working age residents as well as the elderly
- England's North-South Covid-19 divide: Only EIGHT of the country's 50 worst-hit authorities are in the south, official data reveals
- Health Secretary Matt Hancock threatens to CLOSE beaches and re-lockdown local areas after 'major incident' in Bournemouth, thousands of Liverpool fans celebrate title win and police come under attack from revellers for second night
- Leicester's Covid-19 infection rate has dropped 13% in a week but the city's lockdown still won't be reviewed until July 18 as Matt Hancock refuses to reveal threshold for easing measures
- Coronavirus: 'Significant concerns' about Leicester clothing factories, says Matt Hancock
Matt Hancock warns London IS on the verge of being plunged into TIER 3 as Covid cases rise and data reveals daily infections are now higher than BEFORE blanket lockdown - despite hospital admissions and deaths staying low have 455 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at December 8, 2020. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.