European Union leaders reached a hard-fought deal Friday to cut the bloc’s greenhouse gas emissions by at least 55% by the end of the decade compared with 1990 levels, avoiding a hugely embarrassing deadlock ahead of a U.N. climate meeting this weekend.Following night-long discussions at their two-day summit in Brussels, the 27 member states approved the EU executive commission’s proposal to toughen the bloc’s intermediate target on the way to climate neutrality by mid-century, after a group of reluctant, coal-reliant countries finally agreed to support the improved goal.”Europe is the leader in the fight against climate change,” tweeted EU Council president Charles Michel as daylight broke over the EU capital city. “We decided to cut our greenhouse gas emissions of at least 55% by 2030.”Five years after the Paris agreement, the EU wants to be a leader in the fight against global warming. Yet the bloc’s heads of state and government were unable to agree on the new target the last time they met in October, mainly because of financial concerns by eastern nations seeking more clarity about how to fund and handle the green transition.But the long-awaited deal on a massive long-term budget and coronavirus recovery clinched Thursday by… Read full this story
- Migrant crisis: EU leaders agree plan to stop Libya influx
- EU budget deal no closer after leaders' all-night talks
- Brexit deal: Johnson says now is time for EU leaders to ‘get on with it'
- Roundup: EU leaders express unity in dealing with migrant flows after visiting Greek-Turkish border
- EU leaders express unity in dealing with migrant flows after visiting Greek-Turkish border
- EU leaders break deadlock, nominate candidates for top posts
- India, Australia agree to consider reviving talks for FTA
- EU unveils climate law, Thunberg calls it 'surrender'
- Focus on coronavirus shows need for climate law, says EU official
- EU commission unveils climate law amid criticism
EU leaders agree to reduce emissions after all-night talks have 304 words, post on energy.economictimes.indiatimes.com at December 11, 2020. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.