Siddhesh Veer has been named as replacement for Divyansh Joshi for the upcoming Under 19 World Cup to be held in South Africa. All-rounder Joshi sustained a shoulder injury while fielding during the one-day series against South Africa.
“India U19 all-rounder Divyansh Joshi has been ruled out of the upcoming World Cup following an injury sustained in the first match of the bilateral one-day series against host South Africa. Divyansh dislocated his right shoulder after suffering a fall while India U19 were fielding. The All-India Junior Selection Committee has named Siddhesh Veer from Maharashtra Cricket Association as Divyansh’s replacement,” the BCCI stated in a media release on Friday (January 10).
Veer, who was part of the India squad for the quadrangular one-day series, scored 71 opening the batting against New Zealand before striking an unbeaten 48 off 37 batting at No. 6 in the final against South Africa that India won by 69 runs.
India will play two warm-up matches – against Afghanistan on January 12 and against Zimbabwe on January 14 – before they begin their World Cup campaign against Sri Lanka on January 19. Placed in Group A, India will also play Japan on January 21 while their final group game will be against New Zealand on January 24.
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- ICC Under-19 World Cup: My Team Executed Plans Perfectly, Says Prithvi Shaw
- Priyam Garg-led Indian team leaves for Under-19 World Cup in South Africa
- U-19 World Cup: BCCI To Announce Cash Award For Rahul Dravid's Team
- Akbar Ali to lead Bangladesh squad in 2020 ICC U-19 World Cup
- ICC Under-19 World Cup: Shubman Gill Impresses With High-Quality Hundred Against Pakistan
- ICC U-19 World Cup: Shubman Gill, Ishan Porel Power India Past Pakistan In Semi-Final
- Akbar Ali to lead Bangladesh at Under-19 World Cup
- ICC Under-19 World Cup: Ramiz Raja Wants Rahul Dravid-Like Coach For Pakistan
- ICC Under 19 World Cup: The IPL Connect For World Champions
- ICC U-19 World Cup 2018: Lloyd Pope destroys England as Australia enter semis