Millions of children in the Middle East will become poorer as their caregivers lose jobs from lockdowns aimed at stemming the spread of coronavirus across the region, according to the U.N. Children’s Fund (UNICEF).UNICEF said children were nearly half of an estimated eight million people who will be hurt by the loss of about 1.7 million jobs this year as a result of businesses closing, salaries being suspended and other effects of lockdowns in the region.“It is evident that the pandemic is affecting children firsthand. Many families in the region are already becoming poorer due to the loss of jobs especially the daily-paid,” Ted Chaiban, UNICEF’s regional director in the Middle East and North Africa, said in a statement issued on Monday from Amman. “Families are struggling to bring food to their table due to containment measures,” he added.About 110 million children are now at home and not in schools in the region, UNICEF said.Humanitarian agencies and NGOs say curfews and lockdowns are already making it difficult or impossible for many to provide for their families.UNICEF estimates that there are 25 million children in need, including refugees and internally displaced people from conflicts in Syria, Yemen,… Read full this story
- Jared Kushner, America's Middle East Negotiator, Loses Access to Top-Secret Intelligence
- Khashoggi case sends chill through Middle East activists
- Is a new Arab Spring unfolding in the Middle East?
- Microsoft opens first data centres in the Middle East
- Middle East- potential market for Vietnamese seafood
- Middle East Uber rival Careem follows in its footsteps by getting hacked
- Seeking measures to boost trade between Vietnam and Middle East – Africa
- Vietnam and Middle East, Africa seek to unlock economic cooperation potential
- Uber Gobbles Up Middle East Competitor in $3.1 Billion Deal, Spreading Global Dominance
- Russia linked to Triton malware that targeted industrial control systems in the Middle East
Covid-19 to impoverish millions of children in Middle East as caregivers lose jobs: Unicef have 314 words, post on www.hindustantimes.com at April 21, 2020. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.