Email By Emily Olson Updated April 22, 2020 07:26:52 Photo: Despite a worsening pandemic, university students from around the US flocked to Florida for their annual spring break. (Reuters: Maria Alejandra Cardona) Related Story: Trump’s coronavirus strategy gives him little responsibility and a lot of credit Related Story: US states told they can start reopening after a fortnight of COVID-19 reduction Related Story: New Yorkers want the world to know one thing: don’t follow their lead Map: United States Florida is a place so easy and breezy in America’s imagination that they call it the Sunshine State.It’s known for amusement parks, citrus trees and 2,100 kilometres of coastline, a place where the daily temperature averages 21.5 degrees and America’s east coast hustle feels far away.All that warmth and serenity make it a top tourist destination, a haven for elderly retirees and (you guessed it) a perfect cocktail of coronavirus vulnerabilities.There’s another ingredient to mention, which is that the southernmost state has been widely criticised for its lack of preparation.Florida’s first statewide stay-at-home order came on April 1, a month after its first confirmed case. Photo: Despite a large number of COVID-19 cases in Florida, the state was not locked down… Read full this story
- Donald Trump uses State of the Union to reveal dates for second meeting with Kim Jong-un
- Donald Trump urges Fed 'boneheads' to cut interest rates to negative
- Donald Trump's divisive lawyer was once known as 'America's mayor'. What happened to Rudy Giuliani?
- Hurricane Irma Live Updates: Category 4 Storm Hits Florida Keys and Miami
- Donald Trump says liberals want to change Thanksgiving's name, insists he's making 'everyone rich' and slams heart attack claims by bragging about his 'gorgeous chest' during wild Florida rally
- Donald Trump warns Tropical Storm Barry still 'a big risk'
- Trump urges Iraqi PM to protect US personnel after protesters storm embassy
- 'You can't do a damn thing!' Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Khamenei hits back at Donald Trump after the president threatened to make him pay a 'big price' for US embassy attack
- The Fury and Failure of Donald Trump
- Donald Trump Appeared to Show Off a Falsified Hurricane Dorian Forecast in the Oval Office
Coronavirus storm looms over Florida as Donald Trump urges US states to re-open economies have 359 words, post on www.abc.net.au at April 22, 2020. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.