Spanish police stepped up their operation to force people to stay indoors today, with officers driving up and down beaches with megaphones, warning of prison time and massive £25,000 fines for those breaking the lockdown – after the country’s deaths from the coronavirus doubled to 288 overnight. Footage shared on Twitter captures officers as they tell residents and tourists to ‘stay safely at your accommodation or home and follow instructions from local authorities’. It comes as British holidaymakers scramble to escape the country after it was placed on lockdown this weekend - with Spanish deaths from the coronavirus more than doubling in 24 hours, health authorities have announced. Total infections in Spain have approached 8,000 and the Health Ministry said the nation has recorded 288 deaths since the start of the pandemic, up from 136 on Saturday. The jump comes a day after Spain’s government declared a state of emergency and took extraordinary measures to limit movement to commuting to work and necessary errands. It has also closed restaurants, bars, most retail shops and reduced public transport. Crowds of tourists were captured queuing at a Barcelona bus station for services towards the airport today, as the 15-day state of emergency continued. more videos 1… Read full this story
- Snowflake police row: Officers threaten snowball fighters with £200 Covid fines after storm dumped SIX INCHES on the UK in just hours
- China coronavirus: Death toll doubles as Hong Kong reports its first cases
- Full transcript of "Face the Nation" on March 14, 2021
- From 'circuit breaker' to tear gas: A look at what countries are doing to curtail coronavirus
- Coronavirus Live Updates: India Reports 17,407 New COVID-19 Cases, Total Cases Now Stand At 1.11 Crore
- So much for staying at home! Crowds of people head to beaches and town centres despite Boris Johnson begging families to stay at home as Covid deaths hit 563 – the deadliest Sunday in eight months
- Police 'are told to fine Covid rule-breakers after just ONE verbal warning' as three officers 'arrest a woman for sitting on a bench' and another is surrounded for 'leaving her house more than once'
- Boris tries to scare us into lockdown: Whitty launches new government Stay at Home drive backed up by terrifying ads of dying Covid patients as Britain suffers record 1,325 deaths and 68,000 cases in a single day
- Illegal migrants are getting Covid jabs in plush quarantine hotels at Heathrow weeks ahead of British families who must pay £1,750 for LOWER class accommodation
- How did Britain end up with the worst Covid-19 death rate in the world... and was there anything that could have been done to avoid the terrible toll?
Spanish police use megaphones to tell people to stay indoors or face £25,000 fines as coronavirus deaths DOUBLE to 288 overnight - and British tourists scramble to leave the country have 420 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at March 15, 2020. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.