The Shincheonji church has become synonymous in Korea for the role it played in the outbreak of the coronavirus. While little is known about the secretive sect’s members, a striking statistic was revealed by the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) earlier this month. “Among the patients in Daegu, a majority of them are in their 20s,” said Jung Eun-kyeong, director of the KCDC, in a press briefing on March 2. “We think it has to do with the fact that women in their 20s and 30s make up a majority of the Shincheonji members who have tested positive.”According to a report released about the group on Feb. 29, put forward by Eschatological Bureau, a group of researchers who studied the sect for years, as many as 35 percent of Shincheonji’s 210,000 members in Korea may be in their 20s or 30s. If that’s true, it accounts for more than 70,000 young adults in Korea.To find out more about what may be drawing in the younger recruits to the group, the Korea JoongAng Daily recently spoke with two young adults who were previously members of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus. Kim Choong-il learned about the group through an… Read full this story
- Xbox Live Gold members can get The Witcher 3 GOTY for £17.40 / $25 today
- Xbox Live Gold Members can get FIFA 17 on Xbox One cheaper for a limited time
- Mass Effect Andromeda down to £35.74 / $38 for Xbox Live Gold members
- Tom Clancy’s The Division down to £16 / $20 for Xbox Live Gold members
- Telltale’s The Wolf Among Us is now £6.60 / $8.25 for Xbox Live Gold members
- Unravel on Xbox One is $10 for Xbox Live Gold Members
- Tattoos and piercings: How young is too young?
- The Forgotten Lifestyle Star Who Taught Women of the 1930s How to 'Live Alone and Like It'
- The Hidden Benefits of Talking to Strangers
- Xbox Live: Skate 3 on Xbox 360 is down to £3.74 for Gold Members
Rebuilding their young lives after Shincheonji: Former members talk about the secretive sect and how they escaped have 322 words, post on koreajoongangdaily.joins.com at March 26, 2020. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.