By Francis Mureithi More by this Author To many, just a mention of the word Mau Narok conjures an image of lush green area in Nakuru County that is best known as Kenya’s food basket.The expansive fertile land is considered as Kenya’s granary. Countries such as Uganda import carrots from the region.Apart from carrots, the area is known for potato, cabbage, maize farming besides sheep rearing.BARLEY FARMINGUnknown to many, the hills of Mau Narok is also a fertile ground of the lucrative barley farming that has changed the lives of many locals. Beer makers East Africa Breweries Limited (EABL) has entered into contract farming with farmers in the region and this has improved production. Also Read How to curb spread of Covid-19 at your agro premises Vet on call: Dealing with leg joint inflammation in calves Mr President, agriculture needs its rescue plan now Advertisement One of the farmers who is enjoying the benefits of contract barley growing is Mr Kimursoi Nkaiwatei.Mr Nkaiwatei has been growing barley for nearly 50 years. He started growing the crop in 1974 at a time when maize and wheat were the preferred cash crops. “It is a long journey. I was still a young man… Read full this story
- ‘Like I Was In Prison’: Assisted Living Facility Shut Down For Allegedly Neglecting, Humiliating, And Punishing Residents
- This map shows the climate impacts on every county in the Western U.S.
- AFEX’s 5 year Impact Report launched, indicates positive change in over 159, 000 farmers
- Feature: Chinese rice farm trains talents to solve Nigeria's food problem
- New U.S. Climate Normals Show Colorado Is Becoming A Warmer, Drier Place To Live
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS MAY 5
- In Fiji, ants have learned to grow plants to house their massive colonies
- Romania investigates case of bear allegedly killed by Austrian prince
- Boycott threatened over Shell's sponsorship of Science Museum carbon capture exhibition
- Of mini-mutinies and shifting sands — The many strands of a polarised Bengal campaign
How barley farming is changing lives in Nakuru County have 322 words, post on www.nation.co.ke at March 28, 2020. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.