Countries with strong economies – such as the US – may suffer more severe flu seasons, scientists claim. Analysis of data found that for every one per cent increase in employment rates, there is a 19 per cent bump in flu-related doctors’ visits. Job growth means more people are in the workplace, which could increases the spread of flu between people, experts say. Retail and healthcare workers are said to be most at risk because they are more likely to be in contact with lots of people. The researchers at Ball State University, Indiana, said monitoring economy growth could be a way of preparing for an upswing in flu cases. Employers have also been urged to encourage sick days so people don’t feel forced to come into work when they are ill, which could spread bugs. Each one per cent jump in employment rate correlates with a 19 per cent bump in flu-related doctors’ visits, scientists found (stock) Unemployment has steadily been declining in both the UK and US since 2011. In 2019, 96 per cent of adults were working, figures show. Dr Erik Nesson, an associate professor of economics and co-author of the study, said a thriving economy can… Read full this story
- Flu season lands hard on New York and the Southern U.S.
- Thais’ ‘wellness economy’ gauged in survey
- 'Aruna dan Lidahnya': Good Movies Don’t Have to Be Hard Pill to Swallow
- August jobs report points to slowing economy, Fed rate cut
- Samsung back in favour as Moon tries to kickstart Korean economy
- There’s a surprisingly strong link between mental health and gun violence, but it probably isn’t what you think
- What's new in business news: August 19, 2014
- Liberals put health money into hospitals, focus on seniors
- Ontario health system under increasing strain, report shows
- ‘Hallway medicine’ and opioid crisis getting worse, Ontario health watchdog warns
How a good economy may equal a BAD flu season: Each 1% jump in employment rate 'is linked with a 19% bump in flu-related doctors' visits' have 299 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at January 16, 2020. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.