LONDON (Reuters) – As a new decade begins, the first century of the new millennium will already be a fifth over. The last 10 years have seen the world’s most powerful states increasingly at loggerheads, with rising political divisions in almost every country on earth. Members of the New York City Audubon Society monitor birds attracted to the Tribute in Light installation as it is illuminated over lower Manhattan marking the 17th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks in New York City, U.S., September 11, 2018. REUTERS/Andrew Kelly/Files The next may well see at least some of those trends produce a crisis, perhaps even a major turning point in global affairs. While the last decade has arguably been defined largely by trends and series of events – the Arab Spring, the rise of Trump, Brexit and nationalism, growing strains between the West, Russia and China – the first decade of the century is remembered much more for its twin shocks, 9/11 and the 2008 financial crash. The next decade may well see another financial shock of similar, perhaps even greater, magnitude – hitting a world in many ways much less prepared or coordinated to ride it out. What is also becoming… Read full this story
- Chuck Schumer Blasts Trump’s State of the Union: ‘Political, Divisive, Calculating and Even Nasty’
- Putin Dismisses Indictments from Mueller’s Office: ‘Internal Political Games’ of the U.S.
- What this growing international trend means for the travel industry
- Braves' postseason goals grow after another division title
- Sen. Ben Sasse Challenges Sean Hannity to ‘Debate the Role of the Media’ in Political Division
- Greek intervention for tourism with international political impact
- How to rebuild a political party – from the ground up
- Harriet Harman: I should have run for Labour leadership in 2010
- Column: It's beginning to smell a lot like Watergate
- Vietnam, Latvia hold political consultation
Column: Legacy of 2010s will be growing international and political divisions have 309 words, post on www.reuters.com at January 2, 2020. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.