(CNN)As part of its investigation into an impurity found in heartburn medication Zantac OTC, the US Food and Drug Administration has found levels of the impurity “similar to the levels you would expect to be exposed to if you ate common foods like grilled or smoked meats.” Laboratory test results showed that, within the human digestive system, the Zantac medication does not form the impurity known as N-nitrosodimethylamine or NDMA, said Dr. Janet Woodcock, director of the FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, in a statement on Friday. Zantac is a type of ranitidine, a medication for heartburn, stomach ulcers and other conditions that cause too much stomach acid. Sanofi recalls popular heartburn medication Zantac OTC “The information we’ve gathered as part of our ongoing ranitidine investigation has been vital to answering the questions we’ve received about the potential risk of these products,” Woodcock said. “We also conducted tests that simulate what happens to ranitidine after it has been exposed to acid in the stomach with a normal diet and results of these tests indicate that NDMA is not formed through this process,” she said. “Similarly, if ranitidine is exposed to a simulated small intestine environment, NDMA is not… Read full this story
- FDA tests narcotics collected in 6,910 cases
- Tests find drugs, alcohol in blood of Paris airport attacker
- Baby 'dumped' by S'pore couple in Taiwan: Forensic test finds child was born alive
- Baby 'dumped' by S'pore couple in Taiwan: Forensic test finds child was born alive, sources say
- What does Internet sensation Dr Pimple Popper find gross?
- When Does the Farmer's Market Open? Find Out Here!
- Global health regulators find second toxin in common heart drug
- FDA says widening probe on generic drug impurities
- FDA finds new cancer-causing impurity in blood pressure pills
- Patients ‘must find alternative’
Zantac does not form impurity in your stomach, FDA testing finds have 308 words, post on edition.cnn.com at November 1, 2019. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.