Florida’s highly controversial gun policy permitting some teachers to carry firearms inside the classroom went into effect on Tuesday.This latest development is an extension of the Coach Aaron Feis Guardian Program, introduced in 2018—a scheme that enables education faculties to arm staff, security guards and now, classroom teachers. It’s an opt-in program open to any school district in the state.The program was introduced as one element of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act, which was passed in response to the mass shooting at the school in Parkland, Florida, on February 14, 2018. The tragedy left 14 students and three members of staff dead, and 17 more injured.One of those staff members was the school’s assistant football coach, Aaron Feis, killed as he was attempting to protect students from the shooter, hence the name of the scheme—the Coach Aaron Feis Guardian Program.The amendment lifting the prohibition on classroom teachers was signed by the state’s Republican Governor, Ron DeSantis, in May 2019.The overwhelming consensus among the survivors and relatives of school shootings that Newsweek spoke to is that arming teachers is the wrong way to solve the almost daily occurrence of mass shootings. “The bottom line is I think… Read full this story
- TV host who said he would sexually assault school shooting survivor David Hogg with 'a hot poker' resigns
- Why Tennessee students say they are speaking out after the Florida school shooting
- A school shooting preempted a Florida high school’s walkout against school shootings
- Shooting at Florida high school leaves one student wounded
- Ocala, Florida school shooting: School resource officer praised for quick actions
- A Florida school shooting suspect charged with terrorism says ‘sorry’ to injured student
- School district launches probe after Stoneman Douglas teacher is accused of calling student the 'next Hitler'
- Parkland shooting survivors to spearhead Vote for Our Lives rally on eve of Columbine anniversary
- Student wounded in shooting at Florida high school, gunman says ‘sorry’
- At concealed carry expo, the solution to school shootings is responsible gun ownership
School Shooting Survivors on Florida's Decision to Arm Classroom Teachers: 'It Will Lead to More Dead Children' have 333 words, post on www.newsweek.com at October 3, 2019. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.