Late last month, French far-right figurehead Marion Marechal hosted a conference in Paris featuring the country’s most prominent conservative polemicists. In an enthusiastic speech to the hundreds of attendees, the 29-year-old niece of the National Rally leader Marine Le Pen claimed that the French people risk ”becoming a minority in the land of their ancestors” and asked her supporters to help her protect the white European culture from what she calls the “great replacement” by mass migration and “Islamisation”. Controversial right-wing journalist Eric Zemmour, who has twice been convicted of inciting racial hatred, delivered the keynote address at the event. His violent diatribe was focused on a different threat supposedly facing French whiteness: The war on the heterosexual white male. In his speech, which quickly went viral in francophone far-right circles, Zemmour claimed, without a hint of irony, that Muslims, feminists, LGBTQ activists and every other marginalised group in the country are part of a grand conspiracy to ”exterminate the heterosexual white male”. While it is easy to cast aside Marechal and Zemmour’s words as baseless ramblings designed to fire up a racist fringe, they actually echo fears that are deep-rooted in the collective imagination of French people. These fears came to the fore last month when a black national icon dared to say something that is obvious to many across the… Read full this story
- Is Spain next for bailout? As nation's debt hits crisis point Cameron says UK must forge trade links in new markets beyond EU
- Fed should be 'flexible' in response to coronavirus crisis, says oversight commission member
- Ruby Wax, 67, takes no risks during her daily walk as she wears an elaborate mask to protect herself amid the coronavirus crisis
- Accor real estate arm says it will not tap French state-backed loan
- Why Americans Don’t Vote Their Class Anymore
- A Virginia preacher believed 'God can heal anything.' Then he caught coronavirus.
- An open letter to President Trump from his (now unfollowed) friend PIERS MORGAN: Cut the covid crap, stop whining, get serious and show some damn empathy - or it will cost you the White House
- The Hill's 12:30 Report: Trump slams media coverage of COVID-19
- The top 10 recipes the world has been Googling in isolation revealed - including easy pizza dough, carrot cake and the famous Dalgona coffee
- Whether you’re tucking into pizza or egg & chips — we reveal perfect wine pairings for your isolation diet
French whiteness is in crisis have 397 words, post on www.aljazeera.com at October 10, 2019. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.