By Reality Check team Published 25 August 2019 Share close Share page Copy link About sharing Related Topics Reality Check Claim: Life in Zimbabwe is now worse than under former President Robert Mugabe, according to Fadzayi Mahere of the opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC). Verdict: It’s true that in recent months, the economic situation has worsened. But there were periods during Mr Mugabe’s long rule when the economic indicators were much worse. The opposition in Zimbabwe has called for protests over conditions in the country, accusing the government of economic mismanagement. Since 2017, Zimbabwe has been led by President Emmerson Mnangagwa, following the overthrow of his long-serving predecessor Robert Mugabe by the military. We’ve taken a look at some key national economic indicators as a measure of whether Zimbabweans are worse off today than they were before Mr Mnangagwa took over. The latest economic data suggests Zimbabwe’s economy has actually been shrinking over the past year as measured by gross domestic product (GDP) per capita, the average economic output per person. This might be felt by Zimbabweans as a squeeze on jobs and wages as businesses struggle through difficult times. But the projected figure for 2019 is only slightly… Read full this story
- After Mugabe, Africa’s other longtime leaders feel a chill
- After 40 Years, Struggling Zimbabwe Needs to Be Allowed a Fresh Start
- Mugabe and me: A personal history of growing up in Zimbabwe
- Jubilation and threats as Zimbabwe awaits election results
- Coronavirus ‘god’s punishment’ of US and Europe ―Zimbabwe minister
- Mugabe's crime is to have denied his people the freedom and prosperity that trade, not aid, has brought Africa
- What’s Life Like in Zimbabwe’s Prisons?
- PIERS MORGAN: Stop playing down the deadly threat of coronavirus, Mr President, and start telling Americans the truth – or it may you cost you your presidency
- It's time to let the experts do their jobs, Mr. President
- Things Are About to Get Much Worse for Poor Americans
Zimbabwe: Is it worse off than under former President Mugabe? have 320 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at August 24, 2019. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.