The downtown farmers market on the Nicollet Mall in 2018 The Minneapolis farmers market business has grown fast as a weed in recent years. Nearly 30 farmers markets and mini markets operate in Minneapolis this year with food that traveled an average distance of only 39 miles from the farm to the market, according to the city. In 2017 the markets operating in Minneapolis brought in more than $13 million in gross sales from about 650 vendors, according to most recent statistics. Last year, market vendors supported approximately 3,500 employees and served an estimated 1.5 million annual visitors to the markets in Minneapolis. An estimated 11,000 agricultural acres were owned, leased or managed by “Farmers Markets of Minneapolis” vendors. The farmers markets in Minneapolis collaborate, share insights and best practices and promote themselves in partnership with the city, University of Minnesota and supporters. The city has an online interactive map to find farmers markets at http.www.minneapolismn.gov/farmersmarkets. Most of the markets accept SNAP-EBT (“electronic benefits transfer”) cards as payment to give residents on federal food assistance easier access to fresh food, as well as Market Bucks, which provides $10 in additional healthy food to shoppers using SNAP-EBT. Some of the farmers markets… Read full this story
- Is time running out for Melton’s Friday Farmers’ Market?
- Cardiff's Riverside Farmers' Market turns 20 and is hosting a big party
- Iowa professor questions America Needs Farmers marketing with Iowa football
- Multicultural Refugee Coalition Celebrates 10 Years of Growing Roots in Austin
- Five of the best Christmas markets
- London's 13 best Sunday markets
- US Soybean Farmers Struggle to Break Even as US-China Trade Row Deepens
- Lemon farmers earn profit of $ 215,344 yearly: Farmer Association
- Future-proofing family farm stops growing arable crops to focus on livestock and butchery business
- The Fed's $4 trillion experiment is growing
Minneapolis farmers markets are growing green have 282 words, post on www.startribune.com at August 6, 2019. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.