NEW DELHI: India is swiftly moving ahead to acquire the National Advanced Surface to Air Missile System-II (NASAMS-II) from the US, which will be used along with indigenous, Russian and Israeli systems to erect an ambitious multi-layered missile shield over the National Capital Territory of Delhi against aerial threats ranging from drones to ballistic missiles. Defence ministry sources said the US is likely to send the final draft of the ‘letter of acceptance’ for the sale of NASAMS-II to India under its foreign military sales programme, at a cost of over Rs 6,000 crore (almost $1 billion), by July-August. “Several rounds of negotiations, including selection of sites for deployment of the missile batteries around Delhi, have already taken place. Once the deal is inked, the deliveries will take place in two to four years,” said a source. The MoD had earlier granted ‘acceptance of necessity’ to the NASAMS acquisition, which was followed by India issuing a formal ‘letter of request’ (LoR) to the US, as reported by TOI in July last year. Like Washington and Moscow, Delhi too to get missile shieldThough the US is mounting pressure on India to also consider its Terminal High Altitude Area Defence (THAAD) and… Read full this story
- US Discusses Potential Missile Defence Cooperation With India
- Trump Administration Offers Turkey Patriot Missiles so It Won’t Buy Weapons System From Russia: Reports
- US report urges space missile defence
- India joins the 'nuclear triad' club
- In India, people fleeing Delhi’s smoggy air
- In India, pollution refugees are feeling Delhi because of smoggy air
- Microsoft helps police shut down fake tech-support centers in India
- Former call-center workers in India arrested in global fake virus scam
- Russia Military News 2018: Historic Year for Vladimir Putin as New Weapons, Strategy Aim to Challenge U.S.
- Volkswagen says it will pay Indian fine even as it appeals
India to buy US missile system to shield Delhi have 298 words, post on timesofindia.indiatimes.com at June 10, 2019. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.