The dragging death of James Byrd Jr. was one of the most gruesome hate crimes in recent memory; rightfully referred to as a “modern-day lynching.” Picked up by the side of the road by three white men in the early morning hours of June 7, 1998, the 49-year-old black man was beaten and his face spray-painted; a logging chain was then tied around his ankles. He was dragged behind a pickup truck for almost 3 miles before parts of his body were displayed in front of a church outside Jasper, Texas. Now, one of the three men involved in Byrd’s killing, John William King, is set to be executed on Wednesday, barring a last-minute stay of execution, CNN reports. If the death penalty is carried out, King will be the second person Texas has executed in Byrd’s death: Lawrence Russell Brewer died by lethal injection in 2011. The third participant, Shawn Allen Berry, was sentenced to life in prison after cooperating with the investigation. But Byrd’s own relatives have spoken out against executing their loved one’s killers, according to earlier CNN reports: Byrd’s sister, Betty Boatner, told CNN in 2011, after Brewer’s execution, that she “forgave him 13 years ago.”… Read full this story
- Fraternity pledge's death a year ago spurs changes in hazing
- Hollyoaks exit for James Nightingale in tragic death twist?
- George Zimmerman's Bizarre Life Since Trayvon Martin's Killing 10 Years Ago
- Dying Army veteran facing 'final years of total hell' as trial over Troubles killing 45 years ago looms
- Queen Elizabeth’s decision to give Camilla ‘queen consort’ title was made five years ago, royal expert claims
- Selena remembered 20 years after her death
- The 20 defining moments of 20 years of 'The Bachelor'
- Texas Inmate Facing Execution In Couple’s Deadly Stabbing Gets Reprieve
- Australia is learning to live with COVID. But how much death are we willing to accept?
- Trayvon Martin's death set off a movement that shaped a decade's defining moments
James Byrd Jr. Was Dragged to Death More Than 20 Years Ago. One of His Killers Is Scheduled to Be Executed This Week have 315 words, post on www.theroot.com at April 23, 2019. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.