The work of restoring the historic A.G. Gaston Motel in Birmingham’s Civil Rights Historic District has begun, city officials announced Wednesday.Crews today began examining the motel to determine what types of restoration and work are needed to preserve the building’s 1960s character.“I’m very pleased to announce that the restoration of the A.G. Gaston Motel has begun, which will become another jewel of our city and its role in the Civil Rights Movement. The A.G. Gaston Motel is sacred ground,” Mayor Randall Woodfin said during the announcement Wednesday. A.G. Gaston was a powerful figure in Civil Rights movement, Woolfolk says The Civil Rights legacy of black millionaire A.G. Gaston is discussed at conference. In 1963, motel owner A.G. Gaston offered rooms at discounted rates to civil rights movement leaders, including Martin Luther King Jr. King stayed in Room 30 in spring 1963. A bomb was detonated below Room 30 in 1963, causing significant damage. The motel closed in the late 1970s.“I’m proud to be here to be a part of this ongoing effort to make sure that this resource that we’re standing in one day too will become a holy ground where we learn what happened here and what the people… Read full this story
- San Mateo Supes Approve Purchase Of Motel In Half Moon Bay To House Homeless People
- Disgraced former Hillsong pastor Carl Lentz begins treatment for 'depression' and 'anxiety' after being sacked for infidelity
- John Bel Edwards: Restoring power after Hurricane Laura will be 'long and difficult'
- City, parish councils adopt 2020-21 budget, restore funds for recreation, Cajundome, police training
- Judge orders Trump administration to restore DACA, accept new applicants
- LSU lakes restoration project advances — here's the three contractors who will start work
- Nassau County Moves Full Speed Ahead With Restoration Of 300-Year-Old Roslyn Grist Mill
- A Federal Judge Has Ordered The Trump Administration To Fully Restore DACA
- Zoom is working again, even if you’re not
- Judge orders restoration of DACA, opening immigration program to new applicants for first time since 2017
Work to restore A.G. Gaston Motel begins have 334 words, post on www.al.com at March 27, 2019. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.