By Jason Mastrodonato | [email protected] | Boston HeraldPUBLISHED: March 31, 2019 at 12:25 am | UPDATED: March 31, 2019 at 1:11 am SEATTLE — It all started with Jay Bruce. The left-handed-hitting Bruce never has been great against left-handed pitchers, hitting .225 against them in his 12-year big league career, yet Eduardo Rodriguez didn’t throw him a single strike in a first-inning at-bat that set the tone for another challenging performance by a Red Sox in this season-opening series. Early in the Sox’ 6-5 loss to the Mariners on Saturday night, Rodriguez walked Bruce on four non-competitive pitches, putting two runners on with two outs with the hottest hitter in the league due up. Tim Beckham then punched an RBI single to center, Ryon Healy smoked an RBI double to left and the Mariners took a 2-0 lead to start the game. It’s those kind of mistakes that have led the Red Sox to call out Rodriguez for a lack of focus and efficiency in the past. Bruce was the last batter in the lineup Rodriguez should have been shying away from. And giving him a free pass cost him two runs. Next time Bruce was up in the third,… Read full this story
- MLB rumors: Freddie Freeman still being pursued by Dodgers, Red Sox, Rays; Yankees in talks about A's starters
- Want to Understand the Red-State Onslaught? Look at Florida.
- Struggling Steel Workers in France's Rust Belt Turn to Populist Le Pen
- Chris Sale Will Miss Start Of 2022 Season With Stress Fracture In Rib Cage
- David Ortiz Is Ready to Trot Away
- MLB free agency refresher: Pre-lockout signings, hirings and moves you may have forgotten as baseball returns
- MLB lockout: Top matchups, storylines we lost when league canceled first week of 2022 regular season
- Wander, Iowa again, Scherzer in NYC mark baseball schedule
- Game On! Great New Sports Books
- What the new 12-team MLB playoffs will look like, and how it would have looked in recent years
Eduardo Rodriguez struggles as Red Sox lose to Mariners have 313 words, post on www.bostonherald.com at March 30, 2019. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.