Americans have not just been mourning the passing of a president, but also the vanishing of a bygone politics. For George Herbert Walker Bush was the last president of America’s greatest generation: a war hero who bemoaned the end of the patriotic bipartisanship that was such a feature of the early post-war years; a moderate who was genuine when he vowed in 1988 to make his country kinder and gentler; a pragmatist who viewed with suspicion the rise of ideological purists in the Republican Party who fetishised tax cuts and demonised government. For many his death marks the end of an era, but the truth is that age of American politics drew to a close a quarter of a century ago. Its death knell began to toll at the beginning of the 1990s with the generational shift away from politicians, such as GHW Bush, who had served in World War Two and been tested in combat, to Baby Boomers, such as Bill Clinton and Newt Gingrich. Their formative years were spent waging the cultural battles of the 1960s and their politics was more aggressively partisan. Like Harry S Truman, another great foreign policy president who was underappreciated at the time,… Read full this story
- Former President George W. Bush decries bigotry and nativism in the Trump era
- This Week in ‘Nation’ History: George W. Bush Opens His Presidential Library & Collective Amnesia Reigns
- Steve Bannon says George W. Bush ‘embarrassed himself’ with his ‘highfalutin’ speech
- Why West Point’s Lauding of George W. Bush Is a Disgrace
- Trump era ushered in wave of M&A on hope for deregulation and tax reform
- Witcover: Trump era is worse than Nixon and Watergate
- Is Donald Trump Ever Going To Acknowledge The Massive Loss Of Life In Puerto Rico?
- We Need To Know Brett Kavanaugh's Role In Bush-Era Anti-Gay Marriage Amendment
- Trump calls on Sessions to stop Mueller’s Russia probe “right now,” raising specter of attempted obstruction
- Remembering Those Murdered At Oscar Romero’s Funeral
George HW Bush funeral: A legacy repackaged for Trump era have 326 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at December 4, 2018. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.