Franziska Barczyk Sustainable Energy But are the country’s next-generation power lines a clean-power play or a global power move? by James Temple November 8, 2018 In early February, Chinese workers began assembling a soaring red-and-white transmission tower on the eastern edge of the nation’s Anhui province. The men straddled metal tubes as they tightened together latticed sections suspended high above the south bank of the Yangtze River. Recommended for You Using Wi-Fi to “see” behind closed doors is easier than anyone thought Why AI must learn to dress itself A robot scientist will dream up new materials to advance computing and fight pollution A powerful new battery could give us electric planes that don’t pollute Google has enlisted NASA to help it prove quantum supremacy within months The workers were erecting a critical component of the world’s first 1.1-million volt transmission line, at a time when US companies are struggling to build anything above 500,000 volts. Once the government-owned utility, State Grid of China, completes the project next year, the line will stretch from the Xinjiang region in the northwest to Anhui in the east, connecting power plants deep in the interior of the country to cities near the coast. The transmission line will be capable of… Read full this story
- China eyes 'Polar Silk Road' as climate change opens new Arctic routes
- China u-turns on rapid end to coal heating
- Xi Jinping Has a New Signup For China's Pollution Fight: Walmart
- Two giant trenches and up to 11 years of construction work
- Is China an overrated climate champion?
- How California Taught China to Sell Electric Cars
- Four climate change lawsuits to watch in 2018
- Climate plan under fire for a ‘lack of ambition’
- Trump wants to gut climate science funding and NASA research and boost fossil fuel spending
- UK bosses bullish about world economy but still expect to cut jobs due to Brexit
China’s giant transmission grid could be the key to cutting climate emissions have 307 words, post on www.technologyreview.com at November 8, 2018. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.