Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin: ‘You bet I’m running again.’
Bevin: ‘Breaking the backs’ of teachers union will be among ‘best things’ for Kentucky
November 14, 2018 03:17 PM
Gov. Matt Bevin took another swipe at teachers and the Kentucky Education Association during a speech Wednesday, saying the union “suffocates” good teachers and uses its membership dues “to maintain power for a handful.”
“… Breaking the backs of the teachers union in this state as the controlling interest in Frankfort is going to be one of the best things that ever happened for Kentucky,” Bevin said in remarks before the Kentucky Association of County Officials in Lexington.
Bevin also criticized teacher’s unions because “they use teachers’ dues to undermine what’s best for this state so they can maintain power for a handful at the expense of the students and their parents.”
He tangled with teachers and the Kentucky Education Association, the statewide teachers union, during this year’s legislative session over changes to the state’s pension systems. A record number of teachers ran for state legislative offices in November, but few were successful in unseating incumbents.
Be the first to know.
No one covers what is happening in our community better than we do. And with a digital subscription, you’ll never miss a local story.
“I have people in the teacher’s union telling us that they are doing a great job,” Bevin said. “They are suffocating the very teachers that are doing a great job. They are suffocating the students who need them to do a great job.”
Bevin did not mention the KEA by name in his remarks. A spokesperson for KEA was not immediately available for comment.
The Republican governor, who has said he will seek a second term, said he knows that “when I run, they will bite like crazy.”
- Stuart Hogg straight back to his best to show Glasgow Warriors what they have been missing
- ‘We Have A Public Health Crisis’: National Teachers’ Union Reveals Plan To Address Asbestos Remediation In Philadelphia Schools
- Brookline, Teachers Union Agree To Paraprofessionals Contract
- Nation’s Two Largest Teachers Unions Join Anti-Gun Group To Slam Active Shooter Drills
- Sticks and ropes may break their bones: Barring BEST management, no one is happy with conductor-less buses
- UK on a knife edge: Poll finds Scots are split 50-50 over breaking up the union as Nicola Sturgeon demands fresh independence referendum
- Best things to do in London this weekend 31 January - 2 February
- SRVUSD Teachers Union OKs Strike Amid Negotiations
- The 13 Best Things That Happened in Music This Week (Feb. 7)
- Jade Tolbert Breaks Down Revealing All the Things She Hates Most About Herself on