In 2016 Bernie Sanders’s long-shot bid for the Democratic presidential nomination captured the hearts of American progressives. Two years later, the left is casting its eyes toward 2020, wondering who will carry the torch for the movement he galvanised.The annual Netroots Nation convention of liberal grass-roots organisers, digital strategists and party activists offered an early opportunity for possible presidential hopefuls to test their progressive pitches.The Vermont senator – who even at the age of 76 still appears to harbour presidential ambitions and would be a front-runner if he takes the leap – gave Netroots a pass this year, clearing the way for some lesser-known contenders to take centre stage. The clear star of the three-day conference was Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the Democratic Socialist who shocked the political world by defeating a high-ranking New York congressman in a Democratic primary contest last month. At only 28, however, Ms Ocasio-Cortez is still seven years away from being eligible to run for president. When it comes to 2020, here’s a look at the Netroots speakers in New Orleans who might be poised to run.Elizabeth WarrenThe Massachusetts senator has been a progressive star since she made a name for herself as one of the leading… Read full this story
- Royals on lockdown! European monarchs and their heirs lead by example and work from home as people are urged to stay inside to curb the spread of coronavirus
- Joker leads Oscars 2020 pack – but Academy just trumps Baftas for diversity
- Nominate Your Favorite TV Actress For TV's Top Leading Lady 2020
- Tulsi Gabbard quits her long-show Democratic presidential bid and endorses Joe Biden as Bernie Sanders considers his own campaign's future
- Will Bernie Stay or Will He Go?
- Nolte: Florida Poll Shows Trump Beating Biden, Bernie
- Bernie Sanders Will ‘Assess’ Presidential Campaign
- Bernie Sanders’ Hopes For Comeback Run Into Reality of A Pandemic
- In the Age of Coronavirus, Biden’s ‘Results’ Require Bernie’s ‘Revolution’
- Why is Bernie Sanders Still Running for President?
Bernie's heir - who will lead the left in 2020? have 329 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at August 7, 2018. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.