Old wars: Weapons dating from the Đông Sơn Culture found at the site. Photo courtesy of Lâm Mỹ Dung Viet Nam News By Minh Thu Archaeologist Lâm Mỹ Dung, 59, and her students were digging at the Vườn Chuối archaeological relic in Hoài Đức District on the outskirts of Hà Nội in 2011. The site had been discovered in 1969, but during the hard conditions of wartime, scientists lacked the resources to do further research on it. Like all archaeologists, they faced the daunting prospect of difficult and meticulous labour with no guaranteed reward—they could make a critical find, or discover nothing at all. They didn’t know they would uncover one of the most significant archaeological finds in recent Vietnamese history: traces of burned rice and firewood. The finding proved the first residents of the Red River Delta had settled here more than 3,500 years ago. The Vườn Chuối relic contains artefacts belonging to different cultural layers. But the archaeologists were dismayed to discover that the entire site belongs to the Thăng Long 9 Construction Company, which has invested in an urban building project here. Buildings will soon mushroom here and the archaeological treasures will be buried forever. Invaluable archaeological site The 3,500-year-old… Read full this story
- Magid: YouTube settlement has unintended consequence
- 'Most of Europe has no whistleblower protection'
- Cybersecurity and Human Rights: How can we protect the internet?
- Can We Make Destroying the Amazon a Crime Against Humanity?
- New CEO takes reins at Hawaii Island Humane Society
- Abbas calls on UN for 'special regime' to protect Palestinians
- Protecting Tanzania's cloud forest from the ground up
- Data Protection, Surveillance and Internet Governance: The Human Rights Perspective
- How BP Oil Spill Fines Could Help Protect the Texas Coast
- Mohsin Hamid: Writers need to create 'optimistic visions' of the future
Trace of first human settlement in Hà Nội needs protection have 299 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at May 27, 2018. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.