Democracy Dies in Darkness Sections Home Try 1 month for $1 Username Sign In Account Profile Newsletters & Alerts Gift Subscriptions Contact Us Help Desk Subscribe Account Profile Newsletters & Alerts Gift Subscriptions Contact Us Help Desk Accessibility for screenreader PowerPost House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.), left, speaks as House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) listens during a Tuesday news briefing. (Alex Wong/Getty Images) by Mike DeBonis May 22 at 7:45 PM Email the author Speaker Paul D. Ryan is losing his grip on the feuding House Republican conference just months before pivotal midterm elections, caught between dueling factions vying for power inside the party and facing scattered calls for his departure ahead of a planned year-end retirement. The unrest comes in the wake of a humiliating defeat for Ryan and other GOP leaders last week, when conservatives sank a farm bill amid a broader dispute over immigration policy, and threatens to spark months of bitter infighting as Republican lawmakers try to make the case that they should be returned to power in Washington. But there is no clear way out for the party. Numerous aides and lawmakers said Tuesday there is not a viable alternative to Ryan who… Read full this story
- If Republicans Lose the House, Will California Be to Blame?
- Republicans Lose 33rd House Member With Rodney Frelinghuysen Retirement
- Democrats ride blue wave to victory, expected to grab up to 36 seats in the House, ABC News projects
- After Statewide Drubbing, Minnesota GOP Doing Some ‘Soul Searching’
- Speaker Paul Ryan Looking Forward to 'Straight Conversation' With Donald Trump
- White House correspondent April Ryan to moderate fundraising event for Buttigieg
- House to vote on 2 key immigration bills next week, including DACA solution
- Trump Already Won the Midterms
- Woman who began injecting heroin aged 15 releases pictures of herself in the grip of addiction and now clean – and the difference is amazing
- Democrats, GOP to vie for impeachment narrative -- on TV
Ryan losing grip on House GOP conference as midterms approach have 310 words, post on www.washingtonpost.com at May 22, 2018. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.