JOINT BASE ANDREWS, Md. (AP) — Three Korean-Americans who were detained in North Korea for more than a year were greeted by President Donald Trump beneath a giant American flag after they returned to the mainland U.S. early Thursday.Despite a middle-of-the-night landing, first lady Melania Trump, Vice President Mike Pence and a host of senior administration officials joined Trump to celebrate the occasion. The men, Kim Dong Chul, Kim Hak Song and Tony Kim, had been released Wednesday amid a warming of relations between the longtime adversaries.The president and first lady boarded the medical plane on which the men traveled to take a private moment with them, then appeared at the top of the airplane stairway with the three and applauded as the men held up their arms in what appeared to be gestures of triumph.“This is a special night for these three really great people,” Trump told reporters as he stood on the tarmac with the former detainees. On the U.S. relationship with North Korea, Trump said, “We’re starting off on a new footing.”In thanking North Korea’s Kim Jong Un for releasing the three Americans, Trump said he believes Kim wants to reach an agreement on denuclearizing the Korean… Read full this story
- Fashion Notes: Melania Trump Struts in Dior to Welcome Home Freed Americans
- Donald Trump Announces Freedom for American Citizens Detained in North Korea
- Trump Era Brings Home 14 Unjustly Detained Americans and Counting
- 3 US prisoners freed from North Korea release a joint statement thanking Trump for 'bringing us home'
- House Speaker Paul Ryan holds weekly news conference -- live stream
- The Latest: Pence says 1 detainee ‘hadn’t seen daylight’
President Trump welcomes home three detained Americans after their release from North Korea have 275 words, post on www.abcactionnews.com at May 10, 2018. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.