Chinese system requires strong leaders, Xi needs time to find and train right successors: political commentator 0SHARES Share Tweet Email China’s President Xi Jinping PHOTO: REUTERS BEIJING: Thousands of Chinese legislators erupted into enthusiastic applause on Monday over plans to give President Xi Jinping a lifetime mandate to mould the Asian giant into a global superpower. China’s rubber-stamp parliament met in the imposing Great Hall of the People for an annual session that will make Xi the most powerful leader since Mao Zedong, concentrating the growing might of the military, economy and state in the hands of one man. Xi Jinping acquires more power As Xi looked on from a stage dominated by mostly male party leaders in dark suits, a constitutional amendment to scrap the two-term limit for the presidency was read out to the chamber, prompting fervent applause. The legislators are all but certain to approve the amendment this Sunday, as the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) leadership sets the agenda for the National People’s Congress (NPC). The text says the change “will be conducive to safeguarding the authority and the unified leadership of the CCP Central Committee with Comrade Xi Jinping as the core and to strengthening and perfecting… Read full this story
- Myanmar president hails 'historic' visit as China's Xi arrives to fanfare
- Trump trial possibly days away as Democrats meet
- Boston manhole fires prompt power outages, street closures
- Experts laud China's efforts to combat corruption
- China's Xi arrives in Myanmar for 'historic' visit
- May meets Xi Jinping as China suggests ‘shelving’ Hong Kong row
- Xi voices firm support for Myanmar
- The omnipotent seven: meet the men who make up China's new politburo
- Xi greeted with gusto in Myanmar
- Is China's corruption crackdown just a power purge?
Historic meeting lauds lifetime power for Xi have 290 words, post on tribune.com.pk at March 5, 2018. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.