General Motors CEO Mary Barra was walking the stage at the J.P. Morgan Automotive conference in New York on an early August morning, making a dramatic point-by-point case for the company she leads: that GM, despite all its challenges and varied competitors, just might be the strongest and most well-positioned business in all of automotive transportation. advertisement advertisement And how did the audience of investors respond to Barra’s pitch? With seeming indifference. Indeed, many of the attendees appeared to be more engaged with their iPhones than the CEO’s presentation. It wasn’t just that lunchtime was approaching and blood-sugar levels were low, or that the meeting room’s drab brown-and-tan decor and muted acoustics had dulled everyone’s senses. No, the bigger obstacle was most likely an instinctive skepticism about GM itself—and, perhaps, about Barra, too. General Motors was once an acclaimed titan, the most respected company in America, but those days are long gone. Decades of decline have been punctuated by bankruptcy, a government bailout, and a devastating ignition-switch design flaw that has been implicated in 139 deaths. All of this solidified the notion that GM was a dysfunctional, bureaucracy-ridden has-been. If any business was likely to dominate the future of auto… Read full this story
- Mary Barra thinks GM is a leader in autonomous tech
- Mary Barra outlines GM’s future mobility road map for China
- Could Mary Barra be GM's first female CEO?
- Mary Barra: India is an opportunity for Chevrolet
- Elon Musk and Mary Barra will discuss immigration and taxes with Trump
- GM’s Executive Shuffle and New CEO Mary Barra: What to Expect and What They Mean for the Automaker
- Mary Barra is now chairman of General Motors
- Amid protests, GM's Mary Barra steps back from award ceremony [UPDATE]
- Fortune calls GM CEO Mary Barra 'Crisis Manager of the Year'
- Is General Motors buying awards for Mary Barra?
Mary Barra Is Remaking GM’s Culture—And The Company Itself have 309 words, post on www.fastcompany.com at October 17, 2016. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.