This story is the latest in an ongoing series by staff writer David Robinson that has exposed gaps in public-health and law-enforcement efforts to curb the pain-pill epidemic and related heroin crisis claiming hundreds of lives in the Lower Hudson Valley.Christine Bolton used to see a stream of patients high on prescription drugs parading into her pharmacy in Peekskill. They all had one thing in common: a prescription from the same psychiatrist, Dr. Alfred Ramirez.Bolton started rejecting Ramirez prescriptions. She complained to state regulators. Eventually, she stopped seeing Ramirez’s name.Fast forward nearly 30 years later when Bolton’s Sunday grocery run crashed to a halt when she picked up The Journal News in November. As shoppers whizzed by, she froze near the checkout and read about a Yonkers school teacher’s fatal drug overdose.Her shock peaked with the story’s focus, the same Dr. Alfred Ramirez, who was indicted this week by a federal grand jury on charges of illegally selling prescriptions for nearly 10,900 pain pills, including those that killed the 31-year-old teacher, Daren Gajdusek. C overage: Ramirez tied to Yonkers death Coverage: Pill Doc arrested. Did State miss warning signs? Records: Doctors with criminal records Timeline: Dr. Alfred Ramirez’s path from prescription to indictment Local: Doctor, prescription drugs connected to tragedies Bolton hadn’t thought about Ramirez for decades but,… Read full this story
- 'It was 30 years ago, get over it!' Mike Bloomberg's partner Diana Taylor erupts at women who signed NDAs after accusing him of overseeing culture of sexual harassment at his company
- University of Minnesota probing claims ex-men's hockey assistant sexually abused players 30 years ago by 'offering to procure women before blindfolding and performing oral sex on his unsuspecting male victims'
- Back to the Future anniversary: What critics thought 30 years ago
- Human populations in India SURVIVED the Toba 'super-eruption' 74,000 years ago that plunged the Earth into a decade-long 'volcanic winter' and led to the near-extinction of our species
- ‘Here Comes Hope!’: The Winding 30-Year Journey of Wilson Phillips’ ‘Hold On’
- Incredible discovery places humans in California 130,000 years ago
- Archaeologists discover world’s first ‘bottles’ used to feed babies animal milk over 3,000 years ago
- Humans in India may have survived supereruption 74,000 years ago
- Volcanoes in Victoria reveal fresh evidence of eruptions 37,000 years ago
- 30-year-old biker falls into manhole in Ludhiana, dies
Indicted pill doc's bad scripts identified 30 years ago have 383 words, post on www.usatoday.com at January 7, 2016. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.