When Brandon Finnegan takes the mound for the Reds against the St. Louis Cardinals on Wednesday night, it’ll mark the 53rd consecutive game that Cincinnati has started a rookie pitcher.That’s already a major league record — the team broke the previous mark, which stood for 113 years, 11 starts ago — and should the Reds finish the next two weeks without another non-rookie start, seemingly a likelihood at this point, they’ll end up with 110 games started by rookie pitchers this season, more than two-thirds of their total schedule.That, however, would not be an all-time high. And frankly, it’s not close. As recently as 2009, the Oakland A’s featured 116 such starts in the rookie seasons for Trevor Cahill, Brett Anderson and Gio Gonzalez, among others. In 1998, the Florida Marlins set a major league record with a startling 124 rookie starts, one season after winning the franchise’s first World Series.In fairness to the Reds, their reliance on rookie arms this season has not been the result of an epic fire sale, though perhaps the impact of the Marlins’ infamous sell-off on their starting rotation is also overstated. After all, Kevin Brown and Al Leiter were the only starters dealt… Read full this story
- Car caught on camera speeding through red light on Bristol Ring Road
- Azerbaijan Grand Prix: Red Bulls go bonkers as F1 chaos helps Hamilton to an unlikely win
- Tiger Woods: Open offers best chance of major success
- Women on right road when ‘I drive a bus’ is no longer a conversation stopper
- Raging NorCal wildfire turns deadly, forces "mass evacuations"
- Red Bull Salzburg soar to shock quarter-final victory over Lazio
- Red routes are go
- Met Office issues red UK flood warning telling people to ‘act NOW’ as more than inch of rain is expected
- Friday singer Rebecca Black looks all grown up seven years on in a bright red swimming cossie at Los Angeles pool party
- Did the brother of a Porthcawl man shoot down the Red Baron? Porthcawl at war, April 1918, by Ceri Joseph.
Reds’ rookie rotation could turn into success down the road have 331 words, post on www.foxsports.com at September 22, 2015. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.