An official government account of the disappearance of 43 students that sparked a wave of public outrage in Mexico is scientifically impossible, according to an investigation by independent experts assembled by the Inter-American human rights commission. The six-month investigation also highlighted numerous other doubts about the government’s version of events surrounding the incident on 26 September last year that left six people dead as well as the 43 disappeared. The Mexican government said that the students were killed and incinerated in a rubbish dump because they were mistaken for members of a drug gang. However, the 500-page report released on Sunday underlines the inconsistent and at times contradictory confessions of detainees, who have since claimed they were victims of torture, as well as questions the justifications given by the federal authorities for not acting to stop the attacks. “This report provides an utterly damning indictment of Mexico’s handling of the worst human rights atrocity in recent memory,” said José Miguel Vivanco, director of the Americas division at Human Rights Watch. “Even with the world watching and with substantial resources at hand, the authorities proved unable or unwilling to conduct a serious investigation.” Months of protests, many led by the parents… Read full this story
- How the NCAA's investigation into Ole Miss trapped Leo Lewis
- Police: Brady’s missing Super Bowl jerseys tracked to Mexico
- How upbeat sports year for NC State took negative turn after link to FBI investigation
- N.C. State chancellor Randy Woodson releases timeline of FBI investigation
- Shea Patterson details scope of Ole Miss deception in lengthy letter to Michigan
- Dennis Smith Jr. on FBI investigation: 'allegations are just allegations'
- Ole Miss, in declining to support Shea Patterson, still won't face up to its crimes
- Are Ole Miss fans a cult?
- Student journalists discuss their experiences covering college sports
- New Mexico suspends football coach amid misconduct probe
Investigation into Mexico's 43 missing students dismisses official story have 301 words, post on www.theguardian.com at September 6, 2015. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.