MPs have criticised the Post Office for how it has handled claims its IT system caused at least 150 sub-postmasters to be wrongly accused of false accounting and fraud.Sub-postmasters say computer software was responsible for the apparent loss of hundreds of thousands of pounds. Jo Hamilton, who pleaded guilty to false accounting, said the Post Office “never attempted” to find the money.About 140 MPs have withdrawn support for a Post Office mediation scheme.The UK’s 11,500 sub-postmasters are not directly employed by the Post Office.For several years, a vocal minority of sub-postmasters say that they have been made scapegoats for what many claim is a faulty IT system, which created thousands of pounds worth of shortfalls where none existed. Sub-postmasters, who run smaller post offices, are forced to make up any shortfalls from their own pockets.Some have been bankrupted, others have lost their homes, and a few have gone to jail. But the Post Office said there was no evidence of a systemic issue with its software. Case study: Sub-postmasterJo Hamilton, who used to run a sub-post office from her village shop in South Warnborough, Hampshire, pleaded guilty to false accounting following a discrepancy of £2,000 in December 2003. “They decided… Read full this story
- 'Post Office workers can't spot ID card fraudsters'
- DTI announces cyber post office scheme
- Royal Mail turns post offices into pick-up joints
- High-street ID card plan won't work, MPs say
- Sheffield chemists latest victim of ‘unprecedented attack’ on pharmacies, as hours are cut
- MPs slam UK ID card proposal
- MPs slam NHS IT delays
- MPs savage NHS IT delays
- Sri Lanka Easter bombings – Brit student and mum among 207 killed in Easter Sunday church & hotel bomb attacks
- Britain, France and Germany sign up to bold post-Brexit military pact to bypass ‘slow and hesitant EU’
MPs attack Post Office sub-postmaster mediation scheme have 290 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at December 9, 2014. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.