A leading health expert has claimed there will ‘probably be human cases’ of bird flu after an outbreak in Yorkshire – despite the strain never infecting a human before. Elizabeth Mumford from the World Health Organisation warned the virus was ‘unpredictable’ as the government confirmed it is from the same H5N8 strain found in Germany and the Netherlands. All 6,000 white Pekin ducks are being culled today on a breeding farm in Nafferton, East Yorkshire, and up to 15,000 eggs are being tested at a second site 50 miles away. Cull: Ducks are dumped into containers – some of them falling to the ground instead – after being gassed As thousands of carcasses were emptied into a container, a WHO scientist claimed there will ‘probably be human cases’ of bird flu after an outbreak in Yorkshire – despite the strain never infecting a human before Dr Mumford, a scientist with the WHO’s Global Influenza Programme, told reporters today in Geneva, Switzerland: ‘I think we will probably see some human cases. ‘I don’t see why we wouldn’t. If it’s really circulating widely, there’s no reason we shouldn’t see human cases.’ RELATED ARTICLES Previous 1 Next Duck farmer hit by bird flu… Read full this story
- Bird flu in Kozhikode, Kerala govt orders poultry culling
- 'Trolls could sow chaos' with NHS coronavirus tracking app: Experts warn there's NOTHING to stop people lying to program and say foreign spies could shut down entire cities with false reports
- Wash your hands after stroking your pets to prevent catching coronavirus from them, French experts warn
- Contact tracing can’t be run by Westminster, experts warn
- 27,000 chickens to be culled after bird flu detected on farm in Suffolk
- The world will have to live with threat of coronavirus for the 'foreseeable future' because there is no guarantee of a successful vaccine, senior WHO expert warns while Oxford professor says a cure 'was not certain'
- COVID-19 spread: Chinese health experts that knew about coronavirus
- 10 Home Remedies To Prevent Swine Flu
- Coronavirus symptoms: Early warning signs of Covid-19 and how to tell if it’s NOT a cold or flu
- Coronavirus: Europe cases reach 1 million as Spain sees drop in infections
Health expert warns there 'will probably be human cases' of bird flu as Defra confirms duck farm outbreak is same strain as in Germany and Netherlands have 355 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at November 18, 2014. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.