Six of the 14 people arrested in Singapore in what is beingcalled a major breakthrough in the fight against soccer corruptionare linked to ongoing European investigations, Interpol saidThursday.The global network’s suspected mastermind was among the 12 menand two women taken into custody in police raids lasting 12 hoursacross Singapore, ending early Tuesday.Interpol, the police body based in Lyon, France, said in astatement to The Associated Press, that all 14 of those arrestedare Singaporean nationals.The arrests are of ”extraordinary” significance and took down”the world’s largest match-fixing operation based in Singapore,”Interpol secretary general Ronald Noble said in an interview withAssociated Press Television News.”The Singaporeans have been criticized, unfairly I believe, fornot being serious about fighting match-fixing,” Noble said on avisit to Ukraine. ”In fact, they never received the evidence ofmatch-fixing that would have allowed them to either prosecute intheir own country or extradite individuals.”So what the Singaporeans did was they conducted their owninvestigation, working with Interpol, cooperating with (Interpol)member countries, from Italy, Hungary, Germany, Finland, et cetera.And they made their own investigations, targeted people for arrestwho were engaged in match-fixing and made the arrests.”He later added: ”What’s significant is that the investigationin Singapore didn’t just focus on the cases we already knew… Read full this story
- UK businessman and Putin critic Bill Browder 'arrested on Russian Interpol arrest warrant in Spain'
- Berlin Christmas market attack: Italian police arrest five linked to 2016 terrorist
- Magnitsky client and Putin critic Bill Browder released after being arrested on Russian Interpol arrest warrant
- Nigel Havers’ step-daughter Clare Bronfman arrested over links to American ‘sex cult’ Nxivm
- Spice smuggler arrested, scheme linked to man in jail
- Kremlin critic Browder arrested in Spain
- UK's William Browder Says Detained in Spain on Russian Arrest Warrant
- Spanish police arrest Browder on Russian warrant
- Man Arrested by UK Police on Suspicion of Terrorism
- British Putin critic Bill Browder tweets that he has been arrested in Spain on a Russian warrant
Interpol: 6 arrested in Singapore linked to Europe have 331 words, post on www.foxsports.com at September 19, 2013. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.