The stadium is up and ready to go, the final rehearsals allcompleted. In central London’s main shopping district, rows ofgiant flags representing 206 countries flutter over Regent Street,reminding even the most focused shopper: The Olympics are here.London’s cheerleading mayor, Boris Johnson, has long boastedthat the British capital is more than ready for ”the greatestOlympics ever.”The trouble is, not everyone shares his characteristicconfidence. The two most common worries Londoners raise: Will itrain miserably? And will the subway work?With less than 40 days left until the July 27 opening ceremony,many Londoners remain ambivalent about the city’s ability to hostthe grand event.THE TUBEThe biggest fear is that the Tube – the city’s creaking,unreliable, century-old subway system – will let the Gamesdown.”It will be a nightmare. It’s busy enough as it is,” said CarlRead, a manager at a security firm. ”I don’t think the Tube willbe able to cope at all.”He’s not paranoid. Nor is he alone in being pessimistic. Despitea 6.5 billion pound (US$ 10 billion) investment in lengthyupgrades, London’s Tube system remains notoriously susceptible tobottlenecks, delays and signal failures. Disruptions are still ascommon as ever; in May, almost 800 passengers were stuck for hourson the Jubilee Line, one of the key lines… Read full this story
- Getting Across London During A Tube Strike
- My London: Matt Haig
- When will London's colossal underground Crossrail project finally be completed?
- Why a huge tunnel lies empty under London
- Study In London: Planning Your Stay
- Fleabag's £50m star Phoebe Waller-Bridge swaps London terraced house for a swanky apartment in New York with her director boyfriend
- Naomi Campbell, 49, reveals she's 'not yet' ready to become a mother... as she discusses life as a single lady and her 'gratitude' at being a recovering addict
- Be Ready to Support Your Nation in London Olympic 2012
- Reback Of Sports Gala Olympic 2012
- Gun News - Pregnant woman participate in the USA shooting Olympic Game
London ready for Olympics, but Tube a worry have 315 words, post on www.foxsports.com at June 25, 2012. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.