OSH, Kyrgyzstan — Kyrgyzstan’s interim president said Friday that 2,000 people may have died in the ethnic clashes that have rocked the country’s south – many times her government’s official estimate – as she made her first visit to a riot-hit city since the unrest erupted. Kyrgyz Health Ministry official figures have put the number of killed in rampages led mainly by ethnic Kyrgyz against Uzbeks at 191. “I would increase by 10 times the official data on the number of people killed,” Interim President Roza Otunbayeva said, according to her spokesman, Farid Niyazov. She said current figures don’t take into account those buried before sundown on the day of death in keeping with Muslim tradition, according to the spokesman. The United Nations said that as many as 1 million people may eventually need aid in Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan, including the refugees, internally displaced, host families and others who may suffer from the unrest. UNICEF spokeswoman Christiane Berthiaume said the figure was an estimate to help aid agencies plan. She says the actual number of people in need may turn out to be higher or lower. The aid agencies say those uprooted by the unrest most urgently need food, water,… Read full this story
- Xi Jinping says battle against coronavirus making "visible progress" as death toll passes 2,000
- Coronavirus: China's death toll breaches 2,000 but spread of virus is stabilising
- Coronavirus death toll surges past 2,000 in China
- Coronavirus death toll tops 1,800 as 780 million remain on lockdown in China
- Virus death toll nears 1,400, US bemoans 'lack of transparency'
- Xi warns coronavirus yet to peak amidst its spread to Chinese prisons; Death toll over 2,200
- Coronavirus death toll climbs to more than 2,000 with more than 75,000 cases recorded across the world – including nearly 1,000 OUTSIDE of China
- Virus death toll tops 2,000 in China, Hong Kong sees 2nd fatality
- Coronavirus death toll climbs to 1,669 as US passengers trapped on cruise ship wait to fly home
- Novel coronavirus death toll tops 1,770 as US passengers on quarantined cruise ship fly home
Kyrgyzstan death toll at least 2,000, interim president says as ethnic clashes rock nation have 321 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at June 18, 2010. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.