The two revolutionary icons were playing the gentlemen’s game infatigues and combat boots. And they weren’t playing well.Che Guevara shot a 127, besting Fidel Castro’s 150 on a par-70golf course.Their 1961 round a month before the Bay of Pigs invasion was thebeginning of the end for golf in Cuba – soon the communistgovernment had eliminated the sport from the island almostentirely.Only one 18-hole course remains, the Varadero Golf Club in thisbeach resort 85 miles east of Havana. On Friday and Saturday ithosted two one-day pro-am tournaments featuring half a dozen Cubangolfers paired with wealthy foreigners.Organizers say the events are small steps in a campaign to bringgolf back to Cuba, a country that is both the best and worstimaginable place to play.The Tourism Ministry says it would like to build 10 new coursesaround the country and attract high-rollers from Europe, Canada andeven the United States should Washington ease its 48-year tradeembargo. Investors in Europe and Canada have long clamored to buildcourses, presenting plans that include luxury hotels, apartmentsand health spas.But those proposals have remained stalled for years, with noteven one foreign-financed project having broken ground.Cuba is “the sand trap from hell,” said John Kavulich, seniorpolicy analyst at the U.S. Economic Trade… Read full this story
- BRG hosts golf festival “For the love of the game”
- The most anticipated Xbox Series X/S games of 2021
- The best iPad games of 2020 you should play now
- Got a new iPad? Here are the best iPad games of 2020 you should play now
- HC pulls up Puducherry govt. and CENTAC on medical admissions
- Deta Hedman aiming to produce her A-Game as she prepares for her Alexandra Palace bow
- Give yourself a mental break with these 6 soothing video games
- NFL Predictions Week 16: Shaun Gayle takes on Sky Sports Golf's Rob Lee and cricketer Ollie Robinson
- 11 best smartphone games to play with friends: these are the top party games
- VW ID.3 Review: Good Enough To Become As Important As Golf, Beetle?
Golf in Cuba: Is the communist gov’t really game? have 323 words, post on www.foxsports.com at April 24, 2010. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.