Of course, one network’s ratings smash is another’s counterprogramming nightmare, and across mainland Europe, program directors are faced with the quandary of finding alternatives to draw eyeballs, and advertisers, away from the soccer pitch.In Germany, leading commercial broadcaster ProSiebenSat.1 has adapted what could be called “the model and the geek” strategy. Flagship channels Pro7 and Sat.1 have shifted to strong female-leaning shows, such as “Germany’s Next Top Model” and the German premiere of miniseries “The Tudors,” while sister network Kabel 1 is chasing the 90-pound weakling demo with a “Star Trek” marathon.Meanwhile, German digital pay TV channel Sat.1 Comedy on Saturday night began a marathon screening of all 236 episodes of “Friends,” which ended at 10 p.m. Wednesday after running about 100 hours straight. The event was promoted as an alternative to soccer.”We took a very good look at the Euro 2008 schedule and designed a careful programming strategy around that,” Sat.1 spokeswoman Kristina Fassler said. “There’s a big difference in ratings between when Germany is playing and other matches. When Germany plays, we don’t try to compete, we focus entirely on the female audience.”While broadcasters in Spain, France and Italy haven’t torn up their programming schedules to adapt to… Read full this story
- 'It's a pen, you twits': Caroline Flack is forced to deny drug use as fans point out a 'bank card, rolled up note and Vaseline' in social media snap
- Elle Fanning and sister Dakota step out in elegant gowns as they join forces to lead the stars attending the Chopard Trophée dinner at Cannes Film Festival
- ‘Nashville’ Exec Producer Steve Buchanan Ties With ‘The Cry’ Producer Synchronicity Films On Scottish Mystery Thriller
- Holly Willoughby screams in terror and Paddy McGuinness is SICK as Keith Lemon feeds them old scrambled eggs in disgusting Celeb Juice game
- TV broadcasters expect the unexpected on sombre election night
- Jeffrey Epstein’s ‘pimp’ Ghislaine Maxwell 'plans to defend her friend Prince Andrew in a tell-all interview on US TV'
- How David Letterman Reinvented TV
- 'When We Rise' and The (Sorta) Long History of Queer TV Movies
- Does Emma Willis have children, how did she meet husband Matt and what TV show does the Comic Relief host present?
- The 10 best Euro myths – from custard creams to condoms
Euro 2008 forces TV execs to scramble have 375 words, post on www.hollywoodreporter.com at June 12, 2008. This is cached page on Gatofuns. If you want remove this page, please contact us.